Research grants of $2500 provide UBC surgical residents (including anesthesia and radiology) with an opportunity to participate actively in understanding the burden of unmet surgical care in developing countries.
The grants are awarded through a competitive process. The grant is to cover travel related costs.
Applicants must be Canadian citizens and enrolled as Residents (year 3 as of July) of Fellows in the University of British Columbia’s Faculty of Medicine.
Please complete the application in its entirety and submit to the Branch for review.
Selection and Assessment
All applications are reviewed by the Grant Committee of the Branch for International Surgical Care.
Applications are assessed based on the following five areas:
- Quality of proposal: evidence of the academic merit of the study, quality of the study design, uniqueness and innovation, builds on initiatives of UBC faculty.
- Appropriate field trip planning including approval from the host country supervisor and recommendation of the UBC Program Director.
- Focus on surgical care in low resource regions.
- Educational value for Resident and host country.
- Research results will be submitted for publication and/or conference presentation.