- Fifteen percent of the global burden of disease can be addressed with surgery.
- The wealthiest third of the global population receives 75% of the world’s total number of surgical procedures, estimated at 234 million every year, while the poorest third receives only 4% of these operations.
- Annual death and disability rate from trauma alone is more than HIV/AIDs, tuberculosis and malaria combined.
- single largest global epidemic of preventable deaths is road traffic injury. About 85% of these happen in low-resource countries.
- 500,000 women die annually in childbirth—six countries account for half these deaths-Afghanistan, Pakistan, Congo, Ethiopia, India and Nigeria